Relocating to Kent

We can offer help and support to ensure your move to Kent is as stress-free as possible.

Relocation expenses

For qualifying staff, Kent can help with costs including:

  • Furniture removal
  • Moving pets
  • Temporary storage
  • Solicitors' fees
  • Mortgage arrangement fees
  • Stamp Duty
  • Travel costs
  • Temporary accommodation

Temporary accomodation

Relocating to Canterbury or need a temporary place to stay? If so, our Beverley Farmhouse (next to the Innovation Centre on campus) may be the answer.

Visa regulations

For some staff, Kent has to ensure that visa conditions are met throughout their employment. 

Additional information is available for staff who:

  • have a Tier 2 visa
  • have a Tier 5 visa
  • hold their own visas.

Income Tax and National Insurance

Kent has to deduct Income Tax and National Insurance contributions from employees’ pay in all but exceptional circumstances.

The amount you contribute is calculated by Kent, deducted from gross earnings and submitted every month to the HM Revenue & Customs.

Opening a bank account

Unless you are already a resident in the UK and have a UK bank account, you will find it essential to open a bank account.

To open an account, you will need to check documentation required with the bank you choose. But it’s likely you will need to show:

  • your passport or EU identity card
  • evidence of job offer with the University.


In Canterbury, there are branches of the main national banks in the city centre (Barclays, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest, RBS, Santander and TSB). 

There is also a Santander branch on campus, which is open: 

  • 09.00-17.00 Monday to Friday
  • 13.00-17.00 Wednesday  

Please note: this is a cashless branch and will only provide an advisory service. 


In Medway, there are branches of the main national banks in Chatham and Gillingham (Barclays, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, RBS and Santander).

Last updated