Benefits of working here
Study while you work
If you wish to apply for a course or part-time degree at the University of Kent, you can apply for fee reductions.
Kent will meet 50% of the cost of tuition fees for any member of staff providing:
- you are accepted for a course as a part-time student
- you register as a part-time student while employed at Kent
- you remain employed at Kent for the duration of your course
- you are employed at Kent for a minimum of one year
- you are on a 0.5 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) contract or higher
- you have worked for the University for at least 300 hours per year for the last three years
- you have undertaken part-time teaching for three hours per week for the last three years.
You may be entitled to more reductions in fees if your chosen course or degree can be considered as staff development.
Cycle to Work Scheme
The Cycle to Work Scheme offers staff the opportunity to buy a brand new bike and accessories, up to the value of £1,000, from a range of participating local stores at a discounted rate.
You will also save on Income Tax and National Insurance contributions, against the cost of the bike, and can even spread the cost over a 12 or 18-month period.
To qualify, 50% of journeys on the bike must be to and from work.
Kent uses the ‘Busy Bees Childcare Voucher’ scheme. This enables staff to make savings of up to £933* each year (subject to individual circumstances). The vouchers are non-taxable and exempt from National Insurance Contributions (NICs).
20% tax payers may have up to £243 tax-free vouchers per month.
40% tax payers may have up to £124 tax-free vouchers per month.
You can use them to pay for children up to the age of 16 for registered childcare, including:
- au pairs
- after-school clubs
- holiday schemes
- summer camps
- activity clubs
- and many more.
In October 2018, the government launched a new tax-free childcare scheme, offering parents a new way to save on childcare costs.
From this date, no NEW registrations for the Busy Bees vouchers can be accepted – you will only be able to sign-up to the government scheme.
On campus facilities
Kent is a great place to work! We have everything you need within easy access – from places to stay and childcare to sports, arts and culture.
Kent has a ‘Business membership’ with The Marlowe Theatre, letting staff enjoy discounted tickets on select performances and members events.
To obtain your discounted tickets, visit the Marlowe website and:
- Click on the person icon (top right of the page) and log-in, or set up an account if you don't have one yet
- Under the 'Company Name’ option, choose the name of your employer.
You will now automatically be registered as a Business Membership staff member.
Every time you log into the website to book tickets, your
discount will be applied in the basket.
As a Kent staff member, you can save money with local businesses, including:
- Gulbenkian cinema and theatre
- The Historic Dockyard Chatham
- Kent Cricket
Did you know?
You can get a 10% discount when you use your KentOne ID card to buy food and drink from Kent Hospitality catering outlets at Canterbury and Medway campuses.
We recognise the benefits of bus, train and coach travel. We work closely with local companies to subsidise improvements and offer discounted travel for our staff.
You can get free and discounted academic software, including Windows 10, Microsoft Office and data analysis software.