Business travel

What you need to consider before planning a work trip in the UK or overseas.

Before planning and booking work trips, check our travel booking guidelines, including our Travel Booking Procedures.

Travel in the UK

Campus Shuttle - Canterbury and Medway

For travel on University business, staff are encouraged to use this service between Canterbury and Medway campuses.

Booking coach travel

We have guidelines for booking coach travel while on Kent business.

Public transport

Staff are encouraged to use reduced fares wherever practical. 

Bookings should be made via Kent’s preferred travel booking provider - Key Travel

Private transport

Staff who wish to use their own transport – private car, van, motorcycle or bicycle – on Kent business must have permission from their school/department line manager and ensure their vehicle insurance policy includes business use.

Hiring a car

A self-drive car may be appropriate for longer business journeys. 

Check with your school/department administrator and/or email the Kent's Procurement team to find out about our preferred University suppliers.     


Taxis should only be used where there is no public transport alternative, for travel late at night or to meet connection times.

Overseas travel

If you’re travelling outside the UK for work, you will need to ensure you’re covered for any potential health issues.

Before planning/booking your trip, you should read our Travelling and Working Overseas guidelines.

You should also contact our Occupational Health team for up-to-date travel advice.

Health risk assessment

If you are travelling outside the UK in connection with work, you need to take precautions to prevent or deal with health problems. Kent's Occupational Health Service can help you with this.  

You should also ensure that you register your trip with the Kent's Insurance Office.

Health clearance

If you need to take medicines for any reason, you may need health clearance for your trip so please ensure you follow the 'Overseas Travel Health Assessment'.

Travel risk assessment

All overseas travel, work and study undertaken on behalf of or organised by Kent must be risk assessed.

You will not be covered by University insurance if you travel without completing a risk assessment beforehand.

You will also need to confirm that you have a risk assessment in place before you can book flights through Key Travel.

Key contact

For more travel advice and information, email or phone our Travel Health Adviser on ext 3563.

Travel insurance

Kent's Travel and Personal Accident Insurance provides worldwide protection for all staff who travel on Kent business or course-related activities such as research, work experience and fieldwork. 

Cover extends to travel within the UK, but only when journeys require an overnight hotel stay, or travel is by scheduled air flight.

A travel notification form should be completed for every journey.


Our Travel and Personal Accident Insurance is arranged through Chubb Insurance. 

In the event of illness or injury while travelling overseas, you can email or phone Chubb Assistance Helpline: 


Check how much you can claim for work-related travel in our Employee Personal Expenditure Policy.

Parking on campus

Parking spaces are available for use across our Canterbury and Medway campuses.

Last updated