Email and communications
Email for staff and postgraduate researchers has moved to Office 365.
New web link to log into email
- Go to outlook.office365.com
- Log in with your Kent IT account username followed by @kent.ac.uk not your full email address, for example: firstname.lastname@example.org
This replaces owa.connect.kent.ac.uk
If you're having any problems accessing email or related services, these frequently asked questions may help:
Communication and collaboration tools
- Mailing list service: find out more including how to see what lists you're on
- Video conferencing at Canterbury, Medway, Brussels, or from your desk
- SharePoint: share documents and tasks within your team or to all Kent staff.
- Kent blogs: promote and enhance your work online
- Skype and Skype for Business: offers live chat, video calls and virtual meetings with colleagues and external contacts
Your staff PC is likely to be a Staff Managed Desktop. It provides a secure PC environment with a range of corporate and teaching software.
Lecture theatres and seminar rooms have teaching PCs, which are identical to student PCs and run Windows 10 with Microsoft Office 2016.
The first time you log-in, you'll need to allow five minutes as the PC loads your preferences. Future log-ins are much quicker.
The University has site-wide licenses for work and study related software so that you can use your own device. Find out what free and discounted software is available to you:
Off campus working
You can access files and IT services on the Kent network from off campus.
Saving and accessing files
Use your space on the Kent network to save work and share files in your team, instead of saving directly onto your staff PC or laptop. Files saved on the network are backed-up daily, and you can access them from off campus.
You can search for productivity tools and assistive technology to find external apps and tools we've tried and tested as well as software we provide for Kent users.
You can access most staff or student printers to print copy or scan.
The campus Wi-Fi network is eduroam. You need to run our setup tool before you can access it, and can do this from off campus before you arrive.
Protect your tech
IT security: protect your work, devices and privacy, plus what to do if you suspect you have a virus.
Your IT Account
Your Kent IT Account gives you access to services such as email, the Kent network, staff PCs and printers, software, campus Wi-Fi, Library online resources and more.
Find out about:
- activating your IT Account
- requesting an IT Account for a new member of staff
- what services are available with your account
- what happens when you leave Kent.
Departmental IT support
We offer a broad range of web services for departments, research projects and affiliated university institutions and can advise on many aspects of your web needs. These include new website development, existing site re-development, bespoke system and database development, design production, audit and security checks of existing sites and more.
Projects are allocated a project manager and are accompanied by an agreement which details the scope of the work, costs and timescales.
Moving IT when you move offices
I've you've got an office move coming up, make sure the facilities in your new office will meet your IT needs.
Do this at least a month before you need to move, so we have time to arrange extra sockets etc if needed:
- how to check your new office is suitable for your IT needs (pdf)
- how to get rid of old IT equipment
- Dispose of unwanted IT equipment
Buying staff PCs
Buying staff PCs and laptops: software and maintenance costs
Disk space and server management
Help and training
- IT training: boost your skills in software, IT security and more
- Web authors: resources and support for you
- Service request forms for IT services.
IT Service Desk
Contact us for help and advice about using IT at Kent.
Open weekdays 08.00 - 17.30:
IT help for Commercial Services
Commercial services staff: contact Commercial Services for IT help as this is your dedicated IT support service:
- extension 3755